Tuesday, June 22, 2010

gotta cook tonight

I was doing a bit of grocery shopping in Super Target this morning when a HUGE clearance end cap on the spice and seasoning aisle caught my attention. Usually, when I check the clearance shelves I only find dented cans, crushed cookies, broken pasta and undesirable, highly processed items. But not this morning!

I came across gotta cook tonight all natural seasoning packets in a variety of interesting flavors including Madras Curry, Moroccan Tagine, Tandoori, and Goulash . When I checked the ingredients list on each packet, I happily found coriander, mustard, chili pepper, ginger, nutmeg, white pepper and other natural spices. I bought all four! The Madras and Tandoori packets do include an anitcaking agent as the very last ingredient (indicating it is least of all ingredients). So, these 2 seasoning packets are not 100% natural, but they are pretty close to it.

Each packet includes a simple recipe prep on the back. Tonight I am giving the Madras Curry a try with a few simple Inspiring Cook substitutions. This seasoning packet is sugar-free and gluten-free. Here's my version of gotta cook tonight's Madras Curry. Give it a try and leave me a comment to let me know how you like it.

The Inspiring Cook's Favorite Tools for this recipe:
Dutch Oven
Wooden stirring spoons
Vidalia Chop Wizard - Food Chopper

What You Need:

•20 jumbo, cooked shrimp (peeled, cleaned, deveined) (31-40 count shrimp per lb) 

•2 large white onions, diced

•1 can of lite -coconut milk (Thai Kitchen brand, 13 oz can)

•1 cup of chicken stock

•Madras Curry seasonings packet

•1 cup golden raisins

•1 can fire roasted tomatoes

•1 large tomato, diced 

•3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 


What You Do:
  1. In Dutch oven, saute onions in 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil for ~10mins. Onions will turn translucent.
  2. Combine coconut milk, chicken stock, and seasoning packet in a small bowl. Add mixture to Dutch oven, stir and cover pot.
  3. Simmer mixture over med to med-low heat for 1 hour , then add 1 diced tomato, 1 can fire roasted tomatoes with juice and the shrimp, cook for an additional 20 minutes.
  4. Serve over Jasmine rice prepared according to package directions. 
Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails