Thursday, May 6, 2010

CSA Inspired - Fresh Local Organic (week 5)

Last night at 11:30pm, yours truly, Tonya Peele, The Inspiring Cook was in the kitchen cooking green things. Yes, I was quite sleepy at that time of night, but I refused to let nutritious, organic greens waste away in the fridge.

This week's CSA share box was full of vibrant, wholesome leafy greens - lettuce, spinach and kale. I also had some asparagus that I picked up from the farmer's market. Greens are packed with vitamins and minerals and are a great addition to healthy family meals.

Asparagus: about a half cup cooked asparagus contains ~2 gms protein, 20 calories and ~2 gms fiber.

Spinach: about a cup of raw spinach contains ~1 gm protein, 7 calories and ~1 gms fiber.

Kale: about a cup of cooked kale contains ~2.5 gms protein, 36 calories and ~3 gms fiber.

I enjoyed cooking a simply prepared dish of asparagus that was inspired by a recipe in our CSA newsletter. I must say it was the best asparagus I have ever tasted. Here's the recipe for you to enjoy. Don't be fooled by the simplicity of this recipe - it is delicious!

Asparagus Parmesan
1/4 cup olive oil
1lb fresh asparagus
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 sliced green onions
salt and pepper to taste 



Drizzle olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
Add asparagus spears and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, or to desired firmness.
Drain off excess oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. We met at Chantae's son, Keith's, birthday party last year. I'm loving your website. Great job! Earlier this year I read "In Defense of Food" and was introduced to the concept of CSAs. Most that I found don't provide organic produce. Which one are you a member of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind, I see info about your CSA. That's the only thing about reading posts in reverse order. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails