Friday, July 16, 2010

Ceviche Made Easy

I love the way great-tasting, nutritious food connects us with people and places. An evening play date between my son and his BFF, Brooke, resulted in me sitting down at my neighbor’s kitchen bar with a glass of wine and a bowl of Ceviche a few hours later. It was fabulous! I ate two bowls full! I was amazed by the way the flavors of the cilantro, lime, peppers and tomatoes really popped in my mouth. I could not leave without the recipe. Thanks, Chris!


If ceviche is new to you too, here's a little intro. Ceviche is simply citrus-marinated seafood (fish and shellfish). I told you it was simple! Lime and lemon are most commonly used as a marinades. The acid in the fruit causes the proteins in the seafood to break down or "cook" without heat. Typically, the seafood marinates for ~ 3hrs. Some recipes require shorter marinating periods.

You can eat ceviche by the bowl like I did, or you can add spoonfuls to a warm whole-wheat torilla, add slices of avocado, wrap and enjoy!

Ecuadorian Shrimp Ceviche (http://www.cevicherecipe.org/)
Serves 4-6
What you need:

2 pounds of cooked shrimp (41-60ct)
1 large red onion, diced
3 medium tomatoes, diced
3 cups of fresh orange juice (preferably use sour oranges or you can use Tropicana pure natural orange
         juice with no pulp)
1 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
5 tablespoons of ketchup
1 tablespoon of mustard
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

What you do:
  1. Cut the onion into long thing strips -julienne style. Place them in a bowl with water and 2 tablespoons of salt and let it settle for 10 minutes. Then gently rinse with water. This will remove the bitter bite from the onion and make it sweeter.
  2. Dice tomatoes. 
  3. In a large bowl, mix the onion, tomatoes, orange and lemon juice, ketchup, mustard, cilantro, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add shrimp and mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails