Wednesday, April 7, 2010

CSA Inspired

Yours truly, Tonya Peele, The Inspiring Cook, is really excited about the week ahead. Spring has arrived in full force along the Southeast (clear skies with temps in the 80-90s), my son and I get to spend Easter break with my 82 year old highly active grandmother, and next Tuesday kicks off 30 weekly deliveries of seasonal produce from Vollmer Farms CSA.

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, a food subscription program which offers a great way to regularly obtain locally grown, often organic, food quite conveniently. North Carolina has over 50 CSA farms with convenient drop points designed to accommodate families and professionals who would like to pick up weekly “shares”, or orders, on the way home from work or school. I learned about CSAs last winter when a neighbor asked me to participate as part of a church fundraiser.

Here’s how a CSA typically works:

  • Members sign-up for produce (which can include fruits, vegetables, herbs, meats, and eggs depending on the farm) in advance so farmers can plan and reserve your share.
  • Most CSAs offer two options – large and small shares.
  • Payment is due at enrollment, although many CSAs offer payment plans.
  • Produce deliveries span the growing season which generally guarantees about 30 weeks of fresh, local fruits and vegetables.
  • Members can’t specify the content of their CSA share because harvests are based on growth conditions of whatever is in season, but all members are guaranteed the same harvest.
If you haven’t joined a CSA for this season, contact your local Cooperative Extension office to locate participating farms in your area. Other helpful resources include:

Local Harvest.org

NC Cooperative Extension

At the beginning of my first year in a CSA, I’ll admit I was a bit concerned about the yield I would receive each week, but I was pleasantly surprised each Tuesday at the bounty of colorful, great tasting, organically grown produce I received. Many CSAs are a collaboration of several farms which expands the variety of offerings members receive. Now, for me, not knowing exactly what I’ll receive each week is part of the allure of being in a CSA.

This blog series, CSA Inspired, chronicles the fruits and vegetables I find in my CSA share each week and what I'm inspired to cook with it. Many of the items in my share can also be found at local farmer's markets. So join me in eating more real food and I'll help you figure out what to cook with the local seasonal produce you buy! Check back each week for suggested recipes that feature the foods in my weekly harvest, produce preparation and storage instructions, and shopping lists for non-share ingredients.

Be inspired to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails