Friday, March 26, 2010

"See the Fit" - Eating well on hectic Saturday mornings

Hey Moms - the Inspiring Cook's house is no different than yours on a Saturday morning. HECTIC! Some folks are sleeping, some folks are up and ready to eat, and others have no idea what they want to do!

This past weekend even I found myself in a bit of a quandary. I wanted to:

  1. 1. Sleep in
  2. Squeeze in a morning workout on the treadmill
  3. Feed myself and my family a nourishing, or real food, breakfast
  4. ...….and get to my son’s soccer game on time.
You know, there is only so much a Mom can do in a certain amount of time! Generally, when we find ourselves with too many things to do and too little time, we can be tempted to compromise on food by resorting to something quick, easy and highly processed. It is easy to grab biscuits and pancakes for everybody from the drive thru – but is that really the best option for the ones we love? Nada.

Despite busy schedules, Moms can still feed their families well and send everyone out the door with a good dose of energy for the busy Saturday ahead.

Here’s what I cooked for breakfast last Saturday – after sleeping in an extra 45mins and walking on the treadmill for 30mins. And yes, we still got to soccer on time!

Archer Farms Flaxseed Waffles

Pure Maple Syrup

Scrambled eggs with 2% shredded cheddar cheese

8oz 1% organic milk


In between athletic activities, we snacked on PBJ sandwiches I had prepared and packed from home. I felt great because we did not have to resort to fast food and we did not have to be hungry during the day. Most of all, I felt empowered because I had a plan for my family verses everyone pondering over what and where to eat for lunch. Plus, we each had a wholesome snack full of fiber and nutrients to maintain our energy level until we returned home.

Here’s The Inspiring Cook’s PBJ recipe:

2 slices 100% whole wheat bread
1 tsp Smucker’s strawberry fruit spread
1 tbsp Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter
(Washed down with an 8oz bottles of chilled water.)


Moms – you can do it to! Take care of you AND feed your family well!

Be inspired to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails